Mice are know to spread harmful diseases and can cause damage through their constant gnawing. They have been known to cause fires due to the gnawing of electrical wires. Mice are prolific breeders and 1 female mouse can give birth to a litter of 3–14 young, up to 10 times a year, so the mouse population can increase very quickly. Breeding occurs throughout the year.
There are many types of mice in the UK however the main 3 types which you may encounter problems with are the House Mouse, Filed Mouse and the Yellow Necked Field Mouse.
Signs of a mouse infestation
- Scratch noises – usually at night when mice are active
- Droppings – Around 3-8 mm in length and dark in colour
- Grease Marks – Grease and dirt left on walls, skirting boards and timber from the mice “rubbing” next to it whist moving on regular routes
- Nest Material – Mice shred material such as paper, plastic, cardboard and insulation to build their nests
- Tracks – In some environments such as dusty flooring it may be possible to see footprints and tail marks
- Urine Pillars – Mice urinate to mark their territory and over time small “urine pillars” can build up to around 4cm hight and 1cm wide
- Strong Ammonia Smell – As mice urinate frequently there can be a strong ammonia like smell especially in areas of hight activity
Have a mouse problem?
Vermfree understands that having mice in you home or business can be very distressing. We provide a discreet, professional service to eradicate your mouse problem in the quickest time available.